Bread Pudding is one of my favorite desserts and this recipe gives it a kick in honor of St. Patrick’s Day. The hint of whiskey adds a superb kick to this already delicious dessert!
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 French baguette, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey (Jameson)
- 1 – 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 – 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush melted butter on one side of French bread slices, and place bread, buttered sides up, on a baking sheet. Bake bread for 5 to 8 minutes until lightly toasted. Cut into 1 inch cubes and place in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Combine raisins and whiskey in a small bowl, cover and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Combine milk, 1 cup sugar, evaporated milk, and eggs in a medium bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add to bread cubes, along with the raisin mixture. Mash bread pieces with a fork.
- Spoon bread into a 13 x 9 in baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle over the bread pudding. Bake for 35 min or until set. Serve with caramel whiskey sauce.
Caramel Whiskey Sauce:
- Combine sugar and water in small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until sugar dissolves, constantly stirring. Cook an additional 15 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat.
- Carefully whisk in the butter and cream cheese until melted. Cool slightly and then mix in the whiskey and milk. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.