Oh man do these hit the spot! Whoever invented Reese’s was a genius. I love chocolate and peanut butter, especially together. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t. So, here is a special treat that you will make over and over again because it is as easy as it gets when it comes to dessert making; plus the flavor is just phenomenal. Also, there are only 5 total ingredients for the cupcakes and the frosting! It can’t get easier than this.
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 2, 8 ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 heaping cup Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Miniatures
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cupcake pans.
- Make chocolate cake mix according to the package directions.
- Fold in mini Reese’s peanut butter cups.
- Pour into cupcake pans. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. Let cool.
- Frosting: Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar and beat until smooth and creamy. Then add peanut butter and mix until combined. Pipe onto cupcakes and top with chopped mini Reese’s if desired.
- For piping, if you don’t have a pastry bag or plastic pastry bag; use a plastic freezer bag. Cut about 1/2 in. tip on the corner of the bag. This works just as well and you can dispose of the bag right after use instead of having to clean it.
- To make sure that the mini Reese’s don’t fall to the bottom of the cupcake, don’t fold them in the cupcake batter. Make the chocolate cake batter the way that says to on the package, then pour the cake batter into the cupcake pans. Then add the mini Reese’s on top of the cupcake batter. When it bakes, the Reese’s will lie in the middle of the cupcakes.