I got this recipe from the Culinary Institute of America in their book, Baking and Pastry. This recipe is for the gluten-free dieters; however this cake is loved by everyone. The melt-in-your-mouth texture gives this cake its decadence and pairs well with fresh fruit, such as raspberries or strawberries. This dessert is definitely one you should keep in your recipe box. Gluten-free chocolate cakes are hard to come by, at least ones that taste as good as this one, so make sure to save it. I know you’ll keep coming back for this recipe.
Not only is this cake filled with chocolatey goodness, it is also good for you! This cake only has 156 calories per serving and only 11 grams of sugar. So you can enjoy this cake without feeling guilty afterwards.
- 1 cup eggs
- 1/3 cup egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate, melted and kept warm
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup heavy cream
- confectioners’ sugar, garnish
- Kitchen Aid
- double boiler (saucepan and glass bowl work fine)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper, then spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the eggs, egg yolks, and sugar in a medium bowl and whisk over a double boiler until the sugar dissolves and the mixture reaches 110 degrees F/43 degrees C, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to the Kitchen Aid and whip on high-speed until the foam reaches maximum volume, about 10 minutes. Reduce the speed of the mixer to medium and mix for an additional 15 minutes to stabilize the mixture. While this is taking place melt the chocolate in a double boiler.
- Fold the chocolate, salt, and vanilla into the egg mixture and whip with the whisk attachment on medium speed until the mixture cools.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl whip the heavy cream to medium peaks.
- Fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture in two additions.
- Pour batter into the cake pan. Bake for about 25 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely in the pan. Flip cake onto the serving dish of your choice. Dust with confectioners’ sugar for garnish. Serve with fresh raspberries or strawberries.