This cake is definitely for the dark chocolate lovers. It’s like biting into a soft candy bar filled with chocolate-y goodness. The cake is full of flavor and can definitely stand on its own, but I like to pair it with fresh strawberries or raspberries to balance out the flavors a little. Italian buttercream is definitely a good addition as well. You will also be happy to know that this recipe has only 136 calories per slice and is also gluten-free.
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line your cake pan with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/177 degrees C.
- Combine water and 1/2 cup of the sugar and bring to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from the heat, add chocolate and stir until the chocolate is completely melted. Stir in melted butter. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whip the eggs, rest of sugar, and vanilla extract until is has reached maximum volume. This process should take about 10 minutes.
- Gently fold the chocolate into the egg mixture.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cool, then wrap in plastic wrap (with the cake still in the pan) and refrigerate overnight so it’s easier to work with.