These cupcakes were made for a friend and her son’s 4 year old birthday party. They were a hit and were also really fun to make. I’m going to give you step by step instructions on how much buttercream you’ll need, how to make the colors exact, and the steps to decorate the cupcakes. You can use whatever frosting or icing that you prefer, but I would definitely suggest Italian Buttercream. They will think you bought them from a bakery and they probably won’t believe you when you tell them you made them yourself. This recipe makes 30 cupcakes.
Special Items Needed
- 4 pastry bags, any size
- 2 couplers
- #12 tip
- #233 tip (grass tip)
- 9-inch angled spatula
- 9-inch tapered spatula
- Moist Chocolate Cake, or chocolate cake of your choice
- 1 to 2 pounds Italian Buttercream
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- violet gel coloring
- teal gel coloring
- green gel coloring
- yellow gel coloring
- 4 pie tins, optional
- Prepare cupcakes and Italian Buttercream according to instructions. Let the cupcakes fully cool to room temperature. You can also freeze overnight if easier, just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap.
- For the colored buttercream, place about 3 cups of buttercream in each of the four pie tins. Die one violet, one green, one yellow, and one teal; use a fork or spoon to distribute color. To make the lime green, start with the yellow buttercream and keep adding green a little at a time until you get desired color.
- Place the teal and violet color in two separate pastry bags with a #233 tip; if you only have 1 tip use the couplets to alternate back and forth. Place the lime green and white buttercream in two separate pastry bags with a #12 tip. Once again, if you only have 1 tip use the couplets to alternate back and forth.
- For the Mike Wazowski cupcakes, take the lime green buttercream and pipe a circle to cover the whole cupcake. Smooth out the buttercream until smooth with an angled spatula. Take the white buttercream and pipe a circle in the center of the cupcake; should take up half the cupcake. Smooth out again with the angled spatula. Take the lime green buttercream and pipe a dot in the middle of the white. Place a mini chocolate chip, bottom side up in the center.
- For the Sulley cupcake, take the teal buttercream and pipe hair-like strands all over the top of the cupcakes. Then take the violet buttercream and pipe hair-like strands in 5 different places on the cupcake, spacing each one out.
Here are some special items needed in this recipe that will be useful for you and make it easier.