These cookies are definitely one of my favorite recipes that I have. It’s been in the family for 30 years now and I promise you, you will enjoy it as much as I do because of how simple and delicious they are. They hold good together very well, but still remain soft. I like to use this recipe instead of a shortbread cookie recipe because it has better flavor and shortbread cookies tend to break easily. Another secret to my sugar cookie recipe is the icing that is used; royal icing. It pairs so perfectly with the sweet sugar cookie. This recipe makes 20 large cookies per batch.
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream softened butter and sugar together, You may need to microwave to soften butter. Add vanilla first to fluff up the butter/sugar mixture. Next add eggs one at a time until the mixture is fully incorporated. It should be very light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture one third at a time until fully incorporated. Batter should be moist. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least four hours. (The longer you refrigerate it, the easier it is to work with).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll cookie dough 1/4 inch thick on a floured board. Use desired cookie cutter and cut out desired shape. Place cookies on baking sheet and bake in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Cool and wire rack and decorate with royal icing.
Tips and Tricks
- How to get soft cookies every time no matter what type of cookie