I’m filled with football cupcake ideas and this is the first football party dessert with many to come. Decorating football cupcakes can be challenging, but this cupcake is honestly super easy to make and decorate. You can use any type of cake that you want for the cupcake, any frosting, with some white chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, and green food coloring. Of course, I prefer Italian Buttercream. It has a melt-in-your-mouth texture, smooth, and creamy. I can’t get over it. This cupcake is decorated with green grass and a chocolate football.
First, I make the cupcakes according to instructions. I used my Moist Chocolate Cake recipe because it is extraordinarily delicious. The recipe makes 30 cupcakes which is plenty for a football party. A normal box cake mix will give you about 24 cupcakes. For the cupcake liners, I used green and white. I couldn’t decide which one would look better at the time, but the pictures can help you decide for yourself which one you prefer.
For the Italian Buttercream, I normally make a big batch and then just use whatever I need later. However for these cupcakes, you only need about 1/2 of the original recipe, which is about 8 ounces of buttercream. You’ll need to dye the buttercream green with the green food coloring. I prefer to use the gel food coloring because it doesn’t change the consistency of my frosting. Pipe the buttercream on top of the cupcakes using the #233 grass tip.
Now for the chocolate footballs. First I melted 6 ounces of white chocolate over the double broiler. If you don’t have a double broiler use a stainless steel pan with a glass bowl on top, such as Pyrex. You will not need a lot of white chocolate. Let it cool slightly. Download the football stencil below. Place a piece of parchment paper over the top and tape to a hard surface. Pipe the white chocolate over the laces of the football on the football stencil. Let it dry completely. Melt 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate over the double broiler. Cool slightly. Outline each football by piping the chocolate, then go back and fill in the footballs completely. Let it dry completely then use a spatula to lift up chocolate pieces and place on top of the green grass buttercream. You could also put it in the freezer for a few minutes and it will peel off very easy.
- chocolate cake from a box or from scratch
- 8 ounces buttercream
- green food coloring
- 6 ounces white chocolate
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- Prepare cake according to package instructions.
- Prepare buttercream according to instructions. Die buttercream green with the green food coloring. Pipe onto cupcakes using the grass tip.
- Melt white chocolate over a double broiler and pipe onto the laces of the football stencil. Let dry.
- Melt semi-sweet chocolate over a double broiler. Outline the footballs by piping the chocolate, then go back and fill in the footballs with the same chocolate. Let dry completely. Use a spatula to lift up chocolate pieces and place on top of the grass buttercream. Store under refrigeration for up to 3 days.