Warning: this dessert is for Dexter and gory Halloween lovers only. If I was a movie critic these cupcakes are definitely PG13 but 5 stars. These Dexter cupcakes are a fun and delicious way to celebrate Halloween. They are super easy to make and will please any crowd, even if they don’t watch the show. I wanted to do something special for the series finale of Dexter and it was perfect timing because Halloween is next month. So here’s what I’ve come up with.
Special Items Needed
cupcake liners, red of white
1 box of white cake mix
Italian Buttercream, or buttercream of your choice
1/2 cup of fresh or frozen raspberries
candy knives, from Michaels
To start off, line cupcake pans with red and white cupcake liners. In my opinion, the white brings out the blood spatter more while the red makes the cupcake look like it’s full of blood. Bake the white cake according to package instructions then scoop into cupcake pans. Bake and let cool.
Prepare Italian Buttercream according to instructions. Place the cupcakes onto a sheet pan covered with parchment paper because this part can be rather messy. Pipe using a 1M star tip onto each cupcake. Puree the fresh or frozen raspberries until smooth, if frozen the raspberries must be thawed before pureeing. Take the puree and literally spatter the cupcakes with a spoon. Place a small amount of puree on the top of each cupcake where you intend to place the candy knives to make it look like the stabbing point (pretty gory I know). Finally, top each cupcake with a candy knife that is facing down on the top of the cupcake to make it look like the cupcake was stabbed and blood has squirted out everywhere. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- 1 box white cake mix
- ½ cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 batch of Italian Buttercream
- 24 candy knifes
- Prepare the cupcakes according to the package instructions. Bake and let cool.
- Prepare buttercream according to instructions.
- Puree the fresh or frozen raspberries. If frozen, they must be thawed first.
- Spatter the raspberry puree all over the cupcakes with a spoon. Put a little extra puree on the top of each cupcake for where the knife will be placed. Place knife face down on top of the puree.