If you love pumpkin like I do then you’ll try anything with pumpkin like me. This pumpkin adventure recipe was a Pumpkin Cake Roll with Italian Buttercream and Cream Cheese Filling.
Have you ever wanted to make a Cake Roll? I’ve never made a cake roll before. So, I did a little research. I looked at my favorite social media “go to” – Pinterest. I looked up You Tube videos and decided to take a chance. Luckily my first attempt turned out pretty good and I wanted to share what I’ve learned with you!
One of my concerns was rolling a cake. Really? Rolling a cake and not having it crack? They say if you roll the cake while it’s still warm gives the cake “memory”. Rolling a warm cake gives it memory so you can put the filling on it and roll it again easily. Some people use a powder sugar dusted towel to roll the cake but I decided to use another piece of parchment paper. I really liked the results.
Anyone who knows Desserts by Juliette knows how I love, love, love Italian Buttercream Frosting. So for this Pumpkin Cake Roll with Italian Buttercream and Cream Cheese Filling I decided to make my own concoction of a cream cheese and Italian Buttercream filling that pairs very well with the pumpkin cake flavor. My recipe for Italian Buttercream Frosting is what I used to incorporate after mixing the other ingredients; cream cheese, vanilla and sugar.
I also like to use free range chicken eggs with my recipes now. Not only do they add much more flavor but they are healthier for you. Organic has been my choice of ingredients when available and I plan on changing up recipes to healthier choices when possible. Some of you may have read about the benefits of Himalayan Pink Salt. I’ve also like using that as a salt substitute.
If you’ve made cake rolls before and want to try this recipe, let me know how you like it. If you haven’t tried making a cake roll and would like to I hope yours turns out yummy and delish!
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ⅔ c pumpkin puree - I use Libby's
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cloves
- ¾ c flour
- 8 oz package of cream cheese
- ½ c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- batch of Italian Buttercream Frosting
- Beat organic eggs and 1 cup of sugar until mixture is thick. Next mix vanilla and pumpkin puree. Add that to the beaten egg and sugar mixture.
- Mix all dry ingredients together and add to wet mixture.
- Grease a jelly pan and cut parchment paper to fit pan. Fill pan with batter. Batter should be on the thicker side. Smooth batter evenly in pan and bake for 13 minutes on 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take cake out of pan still stuck on parchment paper. Flip it over to another sheet of parchment. Peel off the top layer. Roll the warm cake to establish memory. Cool the cake while still rolled on a wire cooling rack. While it's cooling start making the filling.
- Mix softened 8 oz. cream cheese, ½ c sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla. Incorporate ⅓ of room temp, softened batch of Italian Buttercream Frosting. You can find the recipe at dessertsbyjuliette.com. Fold in the rest.
- After cake has cooled, un-roll. Spread the frosting and roll cake as tight as possible without cracking. Refrigerate for 4 hours covered in plastic. Sprinkle cake with powdered sugar and cut with a serrated knife. Enjoy!