Lemons and blueberries are such a perfect combination of flavors that you don’t want to miss out on. Can you think of a better way to incorporate these flavors, than in a cupcake? I don’t think so. This lemon and blueberry recipe is super easy to put together and so delicious, it makes my mouth water thinking about it. Lemon cake, with fresh blueberries swirled into the buttercream; can it get any better than this? I love this recipe with my Italian Buttercream but you can essentially use whatever icing or frosting that you prefer. The Italian Buttercream does take some time to make, but it is definitely worth it.
Special Items Needed
Nonstick 12-Cup Muffin Pan
Decorating Tip-#1M Star
Disposable 16-Inch Decorating Bags
- 1 lemon cake mix
- 12 ounces fresh blueberries, leave a few for decorating
- 2 quarts of Italian Buttercream, approximately or whatever icing you prefer
- lemon zest, optional
- Fill cupcake pans with appropriate liners. Make the lemon cupcakes according to the package instructions. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- If you are making the Italian Buttercream, you should start when the cupcakes are in the oven. When the buttercream is finished, or if you are using some other frosting, take the twelve ounces of blueberries and mix on low speed until the buttercream starts to become a light purple shade. If you are using frozen blueberries, the buttercream will become much darker.
- Place the Decorating Tip-#1M Star into a Disposable 16-Inch Decorating Bag. Pipe the blueberry buttercream on the lemon cupcakes and finish it off with some fresh blueberries or lemon zest.