Chocolate Italian Buttercream Printable Recipe
Desserts by Juliette: Desserts by Juliette
Serves: 3½ pints
- 1 – ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 5 egg whites
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 pound of butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- Combine ⅓ cup of granulated sugar and egg whites in a mixing bowl. Set up with the whisk attachment.
- Combine the water and 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan. Cook on medium high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Then, continue to cook without stirring until it reaches soft ball stage, which is 240 degrees F.
- When the sugar syrup reaches 230 degrees, start to whisk the egg whites on medium speed. The egg whites should reach soft peaks at the same time the sugar reaches the desired temperature.
- Slowly stream the hot sugar into the whipping whites, still on medium speed. Continue whipping, on high speed now, until the meringue has reached room temperature, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the meringue is cooling, cut the butter into 1-inch cubes.
- Once the meringue is cool, switch to the paddle attachment and gradually add butter on medium speed. Cream until smooth and light. Add vanilla extract.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate over a double broiler and let cool completely. Take about ¼ of the buttercream and fold in the chocolate until smooth. Then fold in the chocolate mixture into the rest of the buttercream until fully incorporated.
- Use immediately or store in a covered container in the refrigerator for later use.