Coconut Creme Brulee
This is a decadent twist on a dessert that everyone knows and loves. Also, gluten-free.
Desserts by Juliette: Desserts by Juliette
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla bean, or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut, toasted
- 5 large egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons brulee sugar blend
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F/163 degrees C. Combine the cream and 2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, gently stirring. Remove from the heat and add vanilla bean (split and scrape the seeds out) or vanilla extract and toasted coconut. Let steep for about 15 minutes, covered.
- Strain the mixture, then bring the cream to a boil.
- Meanwhile, blend the egg yolk and the other 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar. Add some of the hot cream to the egg yolk mixture and whisk constantly. Add the remaining hot cream. Fill the ramekins three-quarters full.
- Bake in a water bath for 25 minutes, or just until set.
- Remove the custards from the water bath and wipe the ramekins dry. Refrigerate until fully chilled, about 2 to 3 hours.
- To finish the crème brulee, evenly coat each custard's surface with a thin layer of the brulee sugar blend. Use a propane torch to melt and caramelize the sugar. *Or broil the crème brulee for five minutes, checking every minute until the top is golden brown and caramelized.
Serving size: 1 ramekin Calories: 401 Fat: 36 g Saturated fat: 23 g Carbohydrates: 18 g Sugar: 15 g Sodium: 69 mg Fiber: 1 g Protein: 4 g Cholesterol: 260 mg