The flavors of strawberries and pistachios compliment each other very well and it makes for a wonderfully decadent dessert. There are a lot of ways that you could make these cupcakes, but this is just my take. I think making the cupcakes look like mini tortes is a creative twist on your everyday cupcake; perfect for a dinner party. However, you could also leave them whole and top with whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts*
- 16 ounces whipped cream
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line standard cupcake tins with baking cups.
- Combine cake flour and baking powder in a bowl. Beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add vanilla extract.
- Add dry ingredients a little at a time until fully incorporated on low speed. Fold in the pistachios. Spoon batter into prepared baking cups.
- Bake for 15 to18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Cut cupcakes in half. Put the top half of the cupcake upside down on the plate and stack in this order: whipped cream, chopped strawberries, second half of cupcake, whipped cream, pistachios sprinkled, and then a quarter of a strawberry on top. Serve immediately.
- You can buy pistachio nuts that are already out of the shells. Also, I purchased the already roasted and salted version just to give some extra flavor. That is also why I didn’t add any extra salt in the cupcake batter, but still used salted butter.