Welcome back to this amazing recipe we want to re share with you. This Dark Brown Sugar Apple Crisp recipe is sensational. The dark brown sugar contains more molasses than light brown sugar, which enhances that crispy flavor.
You can do so many things with this recipe. You could make the apple crisp in ramekins (makes 10 to 12), in a 13 x 9 inch pan, or in a pie pan (makes 2, 8-inch pies). Such a great traditional flavor and texture that everyone loves. Perfect for fall. I love to go the nearest apple orchard to pick my own apples, then come home and bake. Not only is it fun, but almost always cheaper.
Do you have favorite traditions in the fall? Apple Orchards, Farmer’s Markets, Festivals, Pumpkin Patches, Outdoor Concerts? We would love to hear all about it!
For the Crisp Topping
- 1 2/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup butter, cut into small cubes and chilled
For the Filling
- 10 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- lemon juice, as needed
- To prepare the topping, combine the oats, flour, sugar, almonds, and cinnamon and toss together. Cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- Spread the topping mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees F/163 degrees C until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool.
- To prepare the filling, sweat the apples in the butter in a large pan, stirring occasionally until they are just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the sugar, cinnamon, and salt, stirring to coat, and continue cooking until the apples are tender, about 5 minutes. Cool completely.
- Pour apple mixture in desired baking dish and top with the crisp topping.
- Bake at 375 degrees F/191 degrees C until heated through, about 15 minutes. Serve warm. Can keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Always great served with vanilla ice cream.
10 Spooky Good Halloween Dessert Recipes plus 7 Bonus Recipes. Bring the dessert everyone can’t stop talking about to your Halloween party!!
***At this time, this book is only available in e-book form.***